Friday 26 June 2009

Poems by Strompeter

“To my last beautiful stranger, Love Maggie” (tranlsated by Stiglitz)

For our penultimate date
I took her up the Fish Bar
On Whingate and Barden Green,

Suggested to her it was working,
Would she like to meet my folks…
She murmured

What I thought was scraps –
A subtle grace –
But turning:

What if death is beautiful, regardless?

For a first date, well I…
Interstitial.

Years later took the bus with Blessing –
The smell of anachronism
Pressing autocratic Saturdays, there

Mike’s Carpets, splaying subprime, felt-tip
Exclamations: “What We Were!”
A tyre shop nearby?

Regardless:

The clenching, the asbestos that
That lifts away!

But on a first date.
And my broken wrist.

Now, hereat
The Cheeses Shop in Hawes,
Your own homophone pejorative’s why I dwell,
(till Facebook tells me who you married, that you bore).
And the loop (the flue) of half-requited illiaisons,

Jacket dedications…

If someone had told me that kids won’t diminish,
These sidling cock-thoughts;
But that nature, in trickle-down relief, a pact with God,

Well I…
My purpose sheer and splendid.

Plumb sadness
Disdaining ghosts
Beautiful compost.



"OU"

Will history forgive us buildings,
Like it does terrorists?
I stand on squares, a red-brick square,
An open flank, dog-hose quarters.

A curve-ball rots in the roadface,
Gravity-fed thermostat,
It’s pomegranate, ratted pearls, gravel-printed,
Knowledge quarters, ‘clever
And a superb skier’, devolution.

Here, the hedge. Rain-forest encroachment.
And droplets lodging like
A tipped spoon,
A water-feature,
Or a shoot.

As Peace beat War.
It’s always so,
The home support are most obliging.

My back-seat with infrequent forays.

The 25 pound matchball deflates.
Their hefty striker breaks my hand.



"Shift"

We lie back together:
My head above the water,
Toes at 10 to 2 on the overflow;
You bopping, gasping, refracted,
Pitching from the frosty stickle-down.

If death is real-time,
Then I’d prefer the truth of my inconsequence
In other futures

Than to watch (again) the grip I had
(that toadying internal rasp),
The silverfish,

Your unprepossessing eye…

You;
Of all the appendages I mistreated.


The water, unsullied for her.