Friday 30 December 2016

five. ezra

Yeah, I would say I knew them.  I didn’t have any time for them.  Especially not that scrawny little grey wimp.  They were based out on the edge of the small wood a half day or so away, when my clan were on the edge of a small human settlement.  Good for raids.  They would neither of them (I don’t count the blind runt) think twice about coming into our territory.  We are not anti-social, but we have rules for a reason.  It’s like my ancestor used to say.  Now there was a tough fox.  They don’t make them like that so much anymore.  When he spoke there was silence.  His word was law, and if you didn’t like it, just try to fight him and see where that got you.  When it was time for him to die, he just walked off into the snow and didn’t come back.  And that was that.  Wouldn’t want to be a burden on the others.  My father told me; he watched him go.  Beyond the snow line, and never seen again.  There’s no room for sentiment with us.  I understood it from day one.  My first vixen’s litter was large; no way could she nurse them all.  So I did what I had to.

So these two would show up every so often and act like they were something special.  Around our females too.  Who fell for it.  Neglecting their duties, or their young if they had them.  The grey one would act like it was a big deal to go into the human settlement.  Scavenge trash from outside the dwellings, in the dark, of course.  Big deal.  We have been doing that for years, and by day too.  He would come back and talk about things they’d seen there.  Not to do with collecting food, but just looking around.  Looking around is how foxes get killed.  One young female from our lot who they got friendly with lapped up their rubbish.  Went into the settlement with them one night and we never saw her again.  Well, she was no loss to us.  Mentally subnormal.  Couldn’t hunt for herself.  We let that go.

But I couldn’t sit by when the grey one came sniffing around a young female I had decided would be mine.  As was no less than my right.  She was a bit crazy – eccentric, but well-built with a fine coat, with like a sheen about her.  You could tell she’d mother some fine cubs.  And I didn’t want another litter with the last.  She was lazy and neglected her cubs.  A few times I had to keep her in line.

So anyway, this time I caught them together.  In a small copse of trees on the edge of our dens, where we tolerated the three of them staying in some abandoned dens; really just enlarged warrens that an old fox who couldn’t dig used to crawl into shelter before he died used.  They were welcome to them; if they hadn’t the shame.  The female moved away, obviously ready to come crawling.  But he acted without any respect.  Slowly getting to his feet.  I remember her stretched himself.  But he knew he was in for it – that he had crossed a line. 

I walked over slowly, tail down.  Till I could see and smell his fear.  She was keeping her distance but watching.  It’s all just a game – entertainment – for them.  I asked him if he knew who I was.  He didn’t answer at first.   I told him if I had to ask again it would be worse for him.  He was shifting awkwardly, expecting the attack but clearly not having any idea how to deal with me.  He was a little younger than me, it’s true, but I’d been fighting since I was way younger than he was then.  He was terrified, could only manage a nod to my question.  Then you’ll know how badly you’ve fucked up by taking one of our females.  One of my females, I was thinking, but this was really official business I was transacting on behalf of the group.  He was trying to say something to get him off the hook, but it was too late.  I went for him.  He put up virtually no resistance and within seconds I had him pinned by the throat; I held him like that until I felt his muscles drain completely.  I could have killed him in another few seconds, the weakling.  But I let him go.  Told him that if he came back to our territory he was dead.  And he knew that I wasn’t kidding, and that would be him done for, if he was stupid enough not to take me at my word.  I left him there.  He didn’t even move.  Just lay still.  Not so cocky now.  She had been making noises from a distance… the usual.  But when I told her she had to come back with me, she came without a word.  Before we went too far, an idea came to me.  ‘Aren’t you going to say goodbye?’ I said. ‘You won’t be seeing each other again.’  

She didn’t know what to do.  ‘Look back and call goodbye.  It’s only polite.’  She looked at me for permission again and I nodded.  She looked back at where he was still lying and called out.  And then again, her voice stronger the second time.  But he was silent, and wouldn’t look towards us, though of course he had heard; I could tell from the pricking of his ears.  You can’t fake that.  That was my way of showing her that I’d saved her from a mistake. 


I bore no grudges that she’s been with an outsider, who hadn’t sought the proper ways in.  She had a litter of my cubs the end of that winter.  Soon after she went out looking for food during a storm that had already lasted for three days.  She was killed on the road, maybe disorientated by the conditions.  I know because a friend found her body a few days later.  Of course, by then the pups were dead too.  I never saw her body myself.  I went up a week later but by then there was nothing left.  The crows, and the other scavenging animals will pick you clean; your bones will end up gnawed by rats.